The meal kit industry is proliferating as more and more people are looking for convenient and healthy meal options. In this article, we will explore the current state of the meal kit industry, as well as market statistics and predictions that business owners should know.
Current Statistics of the Meal Kit Industry
First, let’s look at some meal kit industry statistics.
Market Share And Revenue Statistics
- The meal kit industry is currently worth $1.5 billion and is expected to grow to $3.5 billion by 2025.
- The meal kit market share in the United States is currently dominated by two companies, Blue Apron and HelloFresh, which hold a combined market share of 63%. However, many other meal kit companies are rapidly growing and gaining market share, such as Sun Basket, Plated, and Green Chef.
- The average price for meal kits is $10-15 per meal.
- Meal kit companies make an average revenue of $70 per customer per month.
- The typical profit margin for meal kit companies is 3-5%, and the average profit per year is $30 million.
- The meal kit industry currently employs approximately 4,000 people in the United States.
- Meal kit companies are expected to create over 100,000 new jobs by 2025.
- The average salary for chefs in the meal kit industry is $60,000 per year.
Meal Type Statistics
- The most popular meal kit type is dinner, which accounts for 60% of all meal kits sold.
- Meal kit companies offer many preferences and meal type options, such as vegetarian, low-carb, and gluten-free. The most popular options are vegetarian (30%), low-carb (20%), and gluten-free (10%).
- The average meal kit contains 500 calories.
- There are approximately 18 million meal kit customers in the United States.
- The meal kit industry is growing at a rate of 25% per year.
- The average meal kit customer is a Millennial (ages 18-34) with an annual income of $75,000.
Future Trends And Outlook for the Meal Kit Industry
The meal kit industry is expected to grow rapidly in the coming years. Some predictions for the future of the meal kit industry include:
- The meal kit market is expected to reach $3.5 billion by 2025.
- Meal kit companies will employ over 100,000 people by 2025.
- There will be an increasing demand for plant-based meal kits as more people adopt vegetarian and vegan diets.
- Meal kit companies will continue to expand their meal offerings to include breakfast, lunch, and snacks.
- Meal kit delivery will become more widespread as companies expand their geographical reach.
- There will be a growing demand for meal kits that cater to special diets, such as low-carb, gluten-free, and diabetic-friendly.
- Meal kit companies will continue to innovate and offer new meal kit types, such as ready-to-cook kits and meal prep kits.
As the meal kit industry continues to grow, there will be more opportunities for entrepreneurs to start meal kit businesses. If you are considering starting a meal kit company, it is vital to be aware of the current state of the industry as well as future trends. With meal kits becoming more popular than ever, now is a great time to enter the market